How to password protect a directory in cPanel for VPS (Unskinned)
How to password protect a directory in cPanel.
This demo assumes you've already logged in to cPanel.
Now let's learn how to create a password-protected directory.
1) Scroll down.
2) Click the Password Protect Directories link.
3) We're going to password protect the /demo directory. Click the demo link.
4) Select the check box to protect this directory with a password.
5) Now enter a name for this protected directory.
6) Click the Save button.
The directory is now protected and requires a password to enter it via a browser.
We must therefore create at least one user, and assign them a password to access the directory.
7) Click the Go Back link.
8) Enter a username and a password in the boxes under Create User.
9)Re-enter your password.
10) Then click the Add/modify authorized user button.
The protected directory now has one user who has access to it. Repeat this process for each additional user you want to grant access for.
11) Click the Go Back link.
You can now see the active user for this directory.
You can return to this screen at any time to modify existing users' passwords, add more users, or delete users.
Let's return to the directory list.
12) Click the Up one level link.
See the lockbox by the /demo directory? That indicates the directory is password protected.
This is the end of the tutorial. You now know how to set up password protection for specific directories within your account. Don't forget to create users for your protected directories.