What is ASP.NET?
ASP.NET is a coding language which lets you create dynamic web pages. Such uses could be a search page, a discussion forum, or an e-commerce shopping cart. ASP.NET server controls have been designed to allow you to build great pages with far less code than with classic ASP. ASP.NET is also much faster, more scalable and reliable than classic ASP resulting in increased productivity.
Do I have to use ASP.NET?
No. You have the choice of using either ASP or ASP.NET for your web site. However, using ASP.NET will provide you significant advantages over classic ASP.
myhosting.com supports both ASP, ASP.NET 2.0 (including .NET 3.0, 3.5) and ASP.NET 4.0. By default, Windows Shared Hosting/IIS webspaces are created with ASP.NET 2.0 enabled. To switch to ASP.NET 4.0 you can follow these steps:
- Log in at https://manage.myhosting.com with your username and password.
- If you have more than one subscription, choose your Windows subscription from the drop down menu from the top right of the page
- Click onto Websites from the top menu and select your domain name from the list.
- Click on the Web Hosting Settings icon.
- Click on the Edit button, and in the ASP.NET support section, choose ASP.NET 4.0 and click Submit.
Please note if you are using the Plesk SiteBuilder 4.5 application, you will need to choose ASP.NET 2.0.